Paleo On The Go

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Red Wine And Cholesterol



As you know, I have been looking for ways to lower my total and LDL cholesterol. This past spring, I was having meatless meals 2 to 3 days a week. However, I have been naughty and kind of fell off of the wagon.  Starting in November, I will be back on my 3 days of meatless meals a week and I will add 4 ounces of red wine for dinner.

I'm going French


The "French Paradox" is the term that refers to the fact that French people have less heart attacks than people living in the US, but consume a diet higher in saturated fats.  This may be due to the amount of red wine they drink on a daily basis.

Red wine is shown to be high in resveratrol, an antioxidant that helps to increase HDL or the good cholesterol. You can read more about it by clicking the resveratrol link. Most doctors do not like to tell their patients to drink wine because it can be abused. All you need is 4 ounces(118.29ml) a day if you are a woman and men can have two 4 ounce(236ml) servings.

I'm not a red wine drinker so this will be my great experiment for the month of November.  I have a wine company I love and that is Matanzas Creek winery and I heart their  Sauvignon Blanc. There is a 2005 vintage in my wine cellar. I need to go online and order a couple of bottles of their red wine stat.

Are you a white or red wine drinker? Should I get a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon? Would you drink 4 ounces a day in order to increase your HDL cholesterol?


No comments:

Post a Comment