Paleo On The Go

Monday, November 5, 2012

Lentil and Spinach Soup

I made this for my parents but I used collard greens instead of spinach.  You can use kale, spinach or collards is you like.  My mom loved it but my dad not so much but he is a picky eater.  Since this has lentils, it is an excellent choice for people watching their cholesterol.



Ingredients:

  • 3 bacon slices, chopped
  • 1/2 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
  • 1 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
  • 1 cup dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 Tbs. tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Directions:

    Sauté the bacon and vegetables
    In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the bacon until the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and the 1 tsp. salt and sauté until the garlic is soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the lentils.

    Simmer the lentils
    Add the broth, tomato paste and water, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer until the lentils are tender to the bite, 25 to 30 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes more. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4.

    Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Soup, by Georgeanne Brennan (Oxmoor House, 2006).

7 comments:

  1. We might have to try this recipe! We're all trying to eat better over here :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try a modification of this recipe since I am a vegetarian. My husband is always talking about wanting to try a homemade lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tegan, yes you can make it vegetarian easily. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I cannot wait to pin this! I love lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a vegetarian variation of this soup the other day and it was delicious...except I didn't use thyme. (I SHOULD have used thyme, it would have been MORE delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this recipe before (love Williams Sonoma!)and left out the bacon and substituted the chicken broth with vegetable broth (I'm a vegetarian) - tastes great. Sometimes when recipes call for bacon or anything a little meaty, I'll finely chop up a Veggie Dog or Veggie Sausage (MorningStar Farms makes an amazing hot & spicy veggie sausage that even my non-veg friends say tastes exactly like the real thing)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the soup also and I used turkey bacon and patted the excessive grease from the meat.

    ReplyDelete